Happy Monday Moanin to all of you on this beautiful September Monday. Over the weekend I read a piece written by Debra Auerbach of CareerBuilder. She wrote about certain comments or statements that no one wants to hear around the workplace and should be avoided. Auerbach wrote that using certain phrases could bring negativity to the workplace and ultimately can affect how you are looked at by your supervisors. As a result, I began thinking and reflecting on certain phrases that should not be heard in schools. This may be a great exercise to use with staff. Have groups write a list and then debrief how those comments can impact the tone and culture of your building. Consider giving it a try. Here are my five:
- “That was useless and a waste of time”
- “I don’t have enough time for _”
- “That won’t work and it costs too much”
- “You can’t do that because the other schools aren’t ready”
- “We did this years ago, it just has a new name”
Have a great week and keep finding the good stuff.