Happy Monday Moanin to all of you. Many of you may be returning from a much needed spring break. While others of you have already started your last quarter of the 2018-19 school year. Wherever you are in the school calendar it is important to realize that these next few days can set the tone for the final stretch of the school year. It is a great time to focus on those actions that lead to a spring cleaning or better yet, a renewal. The final weeks of spring are filled with many distractions: school wide testing, increased field trips, early dismissal for rescheduled athletic contests, and end of the year activities. All of the above issues may lead to reduced instructional time and increased pressure for teachers to cover the essentials of their curriculum through a more narrow window. This is why the spring may feel like the most difficult and challenging part of the year. Listed below are five suggestions that may help finish the year strong and successfully. I encourage you to focus your energy and get to work on your renewal!
- Encourage less summative assessments and more formative assessments. Focus more on learning and not grades.
- Provide more choice for learners.
- Focus less on demanding compliance from students and work at connecting and enhancing your relationships.
- Be better organized and well planned. Manage the heck out of your classrooms and your hallways.
- Focus more on finding the good stuff. This helps keep a positive mindset and keep things in perspective.
Have a great renewal and keep leading. You are needed!