Today’s Monday Moanin Thoughts is especially challenging because it signals the end of summer for many of you. It is also Labor Day 2016. A day when we celebrate working people across America. Even as we celebrate, there are many challenges across our country for workers including unemployment, right to work legislation, living wage issues, a shrinking middle class, and declining pay and benefits for many Americans. It would be easy to write about these challenges and make this blog a commentary on political issues that impact our profession and many others. Instead, take the time to reflect on those areas you have control over. Listed below are some questions for you to ponder and answer. Hopefully your answers will help you continue to grow as you begin a new year. They are;
- Do you treat your work with respect and appreciate your position?
- Do you treat your co-workers with respect and are you willing to collaborate with them to enhance your own skills?
- Do you understand the magnitude of your position and the responsibility of working with young people?
- Do you provide hope and support for students and colleagues that are struggling with personal and professional issues?
- Do you have gratitude for the fact that you are employed?
- Do you bring passion to your work?
- Do you work hard and always do your best?
Please take a few minutes and think about these questions. Hopefully, you celebrate the work you are doing and begin the new year with a focus to improve and enhance your performance. Good luck, have a great week and keep finding the good stuff.
Quote of the week:
“Labor Day is a good time to examine our work life. Are your work, career, and projects so consuming that you are “deaf” to those around you?” Bud Ozar