Welcome to the latest edition of Monday Moanin thoughts. During last few weeks I have had the opportunity to conduct many one question interviews with learners of all ages. I was interested in finding out what did learners appreciate about their teachers. What made them successful as instructors? Here are some of the comments I received:
- “My teacher is always concerned about all of us and whether we get it.”
- “She is always organized and easy to understand.”
- “I appreciate when they take a personal interest in me and they can relate to all of us.”
- “Personal connection is so important. When I was being bullied in 7th grade, my teacher offered me a safe place and he cared about me.”
- “I appreciated when they take an interest and knew something about me.”
- “I appreciate when you can tell that they like what they are doing. They like their job. It rubs off on me.”
- ” My favorite teacher is engaging and makes science come alive. It is not boring.”
- ” He is always available to all of us and willing to help if we do not understand something.”
- ” She never yells at us or gets mad.”
- ” I appreciate when I am treated with respect and not like a little kid.”
- ” She gives us a choice for certain assignments.”
The most repeated and common thought was the importance of teachers establishing a personal connection with the learner. I urge you to conduct a similar exercise in your school or classroom. Find out from the learners what do they appreciate about their teachers. Or consider the question, What is a good instruction or teaching? Learners are an untapped resource that can provide feedback as you move forward with teaching and learning initiatives. As a learner, what would you add to the list?
Have a great week , find the good stuff and keep learning and growing.
Quote of the week:
“Growth is always the result of challenge. You grow your mind when it is challenged by new ideas or new problems or even new opportunities.” Ken Blanchard