Happy first November, 2017 Monday Moanin to everyone. The late Detroit Free Press feature writer Bob Talbert every Monday would write a column titled Outta My Mind On Monday Moanin. In this MMT , in the spirit of Talbert , I will share thoughts, complaints, comments, and questions that are on my mind about leadership and education, 2017.
- Leadership in 2017 is more about being side by side with your staff. More sharing, less telling. Who are you going to help this week?
- Why are we surprised that there is a teacher shortage in Michigan? For several years, teachers have been attacked and salaries, benefits, and pensions have been cut. No wonder young people are not interested in joining the teaching profession.
- There is so much unhealthy competition between departments and grade levels in the same building that it can stifle the opportunity for collaboration. We can do better. Stop defensive behaviors and quit making assumptions. This week, reach out to colleagues. We are stronger and better when we work together.
- A positive climate and culture is not only the responsibility of the building administrators. It is on everyone in the organization. Stop blaming and challenge yourself to be a better staff member.
- I am tired of crabby, unhappy people, practice some gratitude. Begin by saying thank you more.
- I want educators to stop being distracted by the anti-public education folks and keep improving and enhancing teaching and learning, beginning in their own classroom. Dig in and get to work!
- Why do some leaders consistently minimize soft skills? Many struggle because they are poor at developing respectful relationships with others. Then they wonder why people are unhappy. Really!
What are you Moanin about? Oh I almost forgot, thank goodness the October Blues are over and Thanksgiving is a few weeks away!
Sorry for all of my Moanin. Have a great week and find the good stuff.