Today’s Monday Moanin Thoughts is especially challenging because it signals the end of summer for many of you. It is also Labor Day 2017. A day when we celebrate working people across America. Even as we celebrate, there are many challenges across our country for workers including unemployment, right to work legislation, living wage issues, a shrinking middle class, changes in pensions, and declining pay and benefits for many Americans. It would be easy to write about these challenges and make this blog a commentary on political issues that impact our profession and many others. Instead, take the time to reflect on those areas you have control over. Listed below are 5 questions for you to reflect on. Hopefully your answers will help you continue to grow as you begin a new year. They are;
- Do you treat your work with respect and appreciate your position?
- Do you treat your co-workers with respect and are you willing to collaborate with them to enhance your own skills?
- Do you understand the importance of your position and the responsibility of working with young people?
- Do you provide hope and support for students and colleagues that are struggling with personal and professional issues?
- Do you stay positive for your students, when you are consistently asked to do more with less?
Please take a few minutes and think about these questions. Hopefully, you celebrate the work you are doing and begin the new year with a focus to improve and enhance your performance. Good luck, have a great week , thank you for the job you do, and keep finding the good stuff.
Quote of the week:
“The best teachers figure out how to handle their frustrations without complaining. They have challenges…but they don’t dwell in negativity.” Danny Steele