Happy first Monday Moanin of 2016. I hope that you had a wonderful Holiday break. During the weeks leading up to break I met with many administrators. Among the many topics we discussed included a question from Ken Blanchard, what do you want to start doing? Listed below are some questions and suggestions to help as you reflect on what you want start in 2016.
- Instead of talking about an issue or a specific concern, take action.
- Are you having courageous conversations?
- Consider going on weekly listening walks. Be aware of the climate in your building.
- Is your glass half empty or full? Provide hope for your staff and students. You have control over your attitude.
- Try checking for understanding during your meetings. It is just good teaching, model it!
- Consistently share your vision in everything you do. Does your community know what you stand for?
- Reflect often about your role as leader. Where can you help and support others? What message are you sending?
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Are you using Twitter, Facebook, or writing a blog to share your message?
- Is there a teaching and learning piece at every staff meeting?
- Work at developing and enhancing positive relationships throughout your organization.
As you begin your reflection on what to start, consider focusing on the bold words listed above. They may serve as guide for your work. Welcome back and have a productive 2016.