It is hard to believe that for many of you this will be your last Monday Moanin before a long Holiday break. This will also be my last blog of 2017. During the past few weeks I have met with many administrators. Among the many topics we discussed included a question from Ken Blanchard, what do you want to start doing? So, what do you want to begin doing in 2018. Listed below are some suggestions for you to consider as you prepare for a new year..
- Instead of talking about an issue or a specific concern, take action.
- Are you having any courageous conversations?
- Consider going on weekly listening walks. Be aware of the climate in your building.
- Is your glass half empty or full? Provide hope for your staff and students. You have control over your attitude.
- Try checking for understanding during your meetings. It is just good teaching, model it!
- Consistently share your vision in everything you do. Does your community know what you stand for?
- Reflect often about your role as leader. Where can you help and support others? What message are you sending?
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Are you using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, or writing a blog to share your message?
- Is there a teaching and learning piece at every staff meeting?
As you begin your reflection on what to start, consider focusing on the bold words listed above. They may serve as guide for your work as you plan for 2018. Have a restful Holiday season and a great New Year.